Mastering the deny mechanic in Dota 2 can give you a huge edge over your opponents.
(Featured image via Dotafire.)

Dota 2: How to Deny Creeps, Towers, and Teammates Like a Pro

Jul 17, 2017
-795
795
(Featured image via Dotafire.)

Some of the most stylish plays you’ll see in Dota 2 tend to involve somebody killing their own teammate or tower. There’s nothing more frustrating than seeing your hard-earned tower kill stolen away from you, or that hero you’ve worked so hard to bring down denied by a teammate. Denying is a huge part of the game and if done successfully, you’ll be able to use this game mechanic to limit the ability of the other team to develop a gold and experience lead, or catch up with yours.

How to Deny Creeps

Unless you’ve got a Lich in your team, denying creeps is going to require you to manually click on them when they’re below 50% health — press whatever key you have bound to “Attack Move” (the default is “A”), and then left click the creep you want to deny. Since the 7.06 patch, lane creeps give 70% experience to enemies when denied by allies, and grant the denying team the other 30% of the experience bounty. Because the ranged creep gives 90 XP, as well as slightly more gold, and the melee creep gives only 40 XP, you can quickly see that denying the ranged creep is a big deal. You should always prioritize last-hitting over denying creeps, but whenever you get the opportunity to deny, you should take it, unless you’re planning on using the wave to push a tower. You can manipulate the creep aggro to make denying easier, as shown in the video above.

You May Like

How to Deny Heroes

Meepo can deny himself? That’s right. And he’s not the only one. Any hero with controlled units can use them to deny and you get full marks for style for doing it. You can deny yourself–or your teammates–whenever they’re ticking down from abilities like Doom, Shadow Strike and Venomous Gale. Other heroes that are able to damage themselves can use abilities to deny themselves. Good examples of this include Techies’ Blast off, Alchemist’s Unstable Concoction, Abaddon’s Mist Coil, Pugna’s Life Drain (when cast on an ally), and, of course, Pudge’s Rot. Denying a hero means the other team will miss out on experience and gold from the kill, although it’s important to note that the hero who gets denied will still lose gold. If you’re trying to deny a teammate, it’s best to let them know using voice chat if you have it enabled, for hopefully obvious reasons.

How to Deny Towers

Denying a tower cuts the enemy global gold bonus in half, as well as preventing an enemy hero from getting that juicy 150-250 gold last-hit bonus. This could cause a swing of up to 600 gold, so denying towers is absolutely massive. It delays enemy item timings and buys your team time and space to make up for the loss of your building. Denying towers can be tough, especially due to the increased damage that siege catapults are packing nowadays. Arteezy’s tower deny in the video here is absolutely epic–he sends in the dominated Centaur Creep, fakes the stun, and then times the last hit to perfection.

What is a Battle Cup?With all of the original Dota 1 heroes successfully ported, now's a great time for Valve to check out some of the best hero concepts generated by the community.
Jul 10, 2017
1903
How strong is Rod of Atos in Patch 7.06e?
Jul 7, 2017
1044
Expect to see lots of Clockwerk at TI7.
Jul 3, 2017
782
Screenshot from 2GD Studio's TI4 EU Hub, featuring Draskyl and 2GD.
Jun 30, 2017
515
Alex Dyet
92 POSTS
An English student and freelance writer from London, UK, Alex has spent far more time than he'd care to admit battling it out on FIFA's Ultimate Team mode, before moving on to the more competitive eSports out there, like Dota and Hearthstone. He's got big plans for Blizzard's upcoming shooter, Overwatch, and he's counting down the days until the game goes live in May. You can catch him on twitter @Alexcd13D.
What do you think?
react-1

ayy lmao

react-2

Nice.

react-3

Meh.

react-4

No.

react-5

Whoa!

Previous articleMajor Changes: Evaluating Valve’s New Tournament Structure
Next articleDota 2: What Is A Battle Cup?