We’re excited to announce the launch of a new initiative: the Esports Edition Writer Training Program. This new program will provide aspiring esports writers with valuable experience in the industry, but one of our primary objectives is to help individuals develop as writers through extensive feedback from our editorial staff.
What We’re Looking For
- People who have a strong writing background but don’t have professional experience in the world of esports. (If you’ve worked in the industry, you’re welcome to apply, but keep in mind that these positions were designed with newcomers in mind.)
- Anyone who’s interested in trying their hand at writing articles, producing video content, and getting familiar with the esports industry. This is right up your alley.
- If you’re a student who’s passionate about esports, this is a great opportunity to start getting experience in the field before graduation.
What Your Responsibilities Would Be
- Writing one article a week, and one Skype meeting with our editor–that’s me–a week. We understand that this is a volunteer position, and we want to make sure that anyone who we bring on board through the Writer Training Program is getting the hands-on, individual attention that they signed on for.
- Volunteers will be asked to write articles about their choice of following titles: Dota 2, League Of Legends, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, Overwatch Hearthstone, Super Smash Bros., Street Fighter, and/or Rocket League.
What You Get Out Of It
- You’ll be building your writing portfolio, but you’ll also be getting extensive writing feedback. Giving you vague promises about “exposure” isn’t enough, which is why I’ll be working with volunteer writers regularly, providing in-depth feedback and commentary about your work.
- Full transparency: this is a volunteer writing program. You won’t be compensated financially, but we’ll make sure that it’s worth your while to contribute articles to the site. Down the line, we’ll strongly consider our volunteers when making decisions about hiring staff writers.
If you’re interested in applying to the Esports Edition Writer Training Program, please send an e-mail to editor[@]esportsedition.com with a cover letter explaining why you’re interested and what games you’d like to write about. Feel free to include any writing samples that you feel are applicable–they don’t have to be about esports.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us on Twitter.